Karen Van Den Heuvel Fischer
Karen Van Den Heuvel Fischer, McDonough Law LLC
Karen Van Den Heuvel Fischer is a Denver business attorney and Colorado corporate law attorney licensed to practice law in both Colorado and Florida. For more than 25 years, she has enjoyed working with clients in the corporate, government and private sectors to help people live fuller, richer lives. Her practice has focused on business, succession planning, intellectual property, employment, real estate, and education law. As a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Science in Nutrition and published author with 15 years of experience as a Certified Civil Mediator, her skills in persuasion, research, and writing have made her a successful advocate for people in all walks of life, and she is always fully invested in the outcomes of the clients with whom she works.
Karen began her legal career by graduating Summa Cum Laude (and first in her class) with her Doctor of Law degree from Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law. She was highly awarded during her education program, earning a place in the Who’s Who Among American Law Students (7th, 8th editions) and four American Jurisprudence Book Awards.
In her roles as General Counsel to an international corporation, Senior Counsel to a multi-state quasi-governmental organization and later, as a corporate attorney, Karen helped her clients grow and succeed in business through helping them manage their intellectual property rights, succession plans, employment issues, contracts, and real estate ventures. Karen is a former school board attorney for one of the largest school districts in the country with 137 schools and 150,000 students of diverse backgrounds. Additionally, Karen has provided legal advice and representation to a number of school boards of private and charter schools over the years.
Karen has published both the non-fiction memoir, “A Beacon for Life,” and the fictional first installment of the J.C. Classified Series entitled, “Hidden Bloodlines.” She has written over 100 scholarly articles and blog posts. As a writer and speaker, Karen has particular insight into the business and succession planning concerns for those in the writing and publishing industry.
Her areas of practice with McDonough Law LLC include Estate Planning, Business Law, Real Estate, Intellectual Property, Employment and School Law. Her primary goal is to provide peace of mind to her clients.
- Wills & Trusts
- Business & Corporate Law
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property
- School Law
- State of Colorado
- State of Florida
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Florida
- Juris Doctor, Summa Cum Laude, Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law
- Master of Science, Human Nutrition, Penn State University (honors)
- Bachelor of Science, Food and Nutrition, Florida State University (honors)
- Graduated first in class, Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law (1988)
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence (1988)
- Dean’s Advisory Council (1988)
- Who’s Who Among Law Students (7th, 8th editions)
- Attorneys’ Title Ins. & Student Awards Contest (1997/1998)
- American Jurisprudence Book Award (1998)
Professional Organizations & Affiliations
- Florida Bar Association
- American Dietetic Association
- University of Phoenix, Colorado Campus
- Faculty Member (2014 – present)
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
- Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
- Omicron Nu National Honor Society
- Mortar Board Society
- Garnet & Gold Key Society
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Civil Mediator (1996-2015)
- Registered Dietician
- Lecturer, Writers Beware the Legal Pitfalls, Local Author Showcase, Loveland Public Library (2018).
- Lecturer, Healthy Habits for Writers, RWA National Conference (2017).
- Presenter, Workshops: Writers Beware the Legal Pitfalls; SEO for the Technically Challenged; and The Writer’s Balancing Act: Minor Changes for Major Improvements, Colorado Christian Writers Conference (2016)
- Presenter, Workshops: Writers Beware the Legal Pitfalls; SEO for the Technically Challenged; and The Writer’s Balancing Act: Minor Changes for Major Improvements, Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference (2016).
- Author, Survive, Overcome, Succeed: Wise Solutions for an Ailing Workforce, (publication to be announced).
- Author, What is Prop 215? How does Prop 215 relate to Florida?, Office of the Florida Attorney General (2014).
- Author, Palm Beach County Marijuana Laws, Office of the Florida Attorney General (2014).
- Author, What is Marijuana?, Office of the Florida Attorney General (2014).
- Author, Nonsmokers’ Rights – An Analysis of Florida’s Clean Indoor Air Act, 63 Fla. Bar J. (1989).
- Author, Note, The Preservation of Florida’s Public Trust Doctrine, 11 Nova L. Rev. 227 (1986).
- Author, Teaching Strategies in Preschool Nutrition Education, Master’s Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University (1982).
200 Union Blvd, Suite 200
Lakewood, CO 80228
1635 Foxtrail Dr
Loveland, CO 80538
70 East Agate, Unit H
Granby, CO 80446
5830 E 2nd St
Casper, WY 82609
Thank you for visiting McDonough Law LLC’s website www.mcdonoughlawllc.com. Please read this disclaimer before using any of this website’s information. This website has been prepared by McDonough Law LLC for informational purposes only. The information contained on this website is not meant to constitute legal or professional advice. The display of materials and information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship with McDonough Law LLC. Transmission of information to the attorneys of McDonough Law LLC through this website does not form an attorney-client relationship with McDonough Law LLC. An attorney-client relationship with McDonough Law LLC is formed only through written agreement between the law firm and the client. The information contained on this website is intentionally general and does not apply to any specific to any individual, business, or situation. McDonough Law LLC disclaims any and all liability with respect to the actions of readers of this website based on the information provided herein.
Powered by McDounough Law LLC
Copyright 2019 © McDonough Law LLC. All rights reserved.